Saturday, August 21, 2004

Today has been a good one for a sport fan.
I was up at the crack of Dawn. 7am, to see the British Womans rowing thingy, we won a silver and a bronze. I wasn't really paying much attention to tell the truth, cos all my energies were focused on sending "sink" vibes to Everyone but us in the coxless 4's.
and Oh my God! How nerve wracking was it? I thought the play-off final was bad, the Mixed badminton Finals was torture, with me dancing round my bed, but this was sheer agony!
We won by something like 2cm!
It made the final in the 2000 olympics seem like we had won by 3 or 4 boat lengths.
Afterwards Matthew Pinsent cracked up and sobbed while getting the medals, Bless. You could even hear Steven Redgrave telling him to behave or he'd set him off, and you can understand why, after all those years, he must have wondered if it was possible to win a Gold without him and the pressure and grief he would have got if he hadn't got a gold must have been immense.
Then After I had dragged myself out of bed and down to the Standard to get bird seed and came back in time for Football Focus and to see Ben Anslie set off on his quest for Gold.
So there it was, 2 golds, 1 silver and a bronze and in between keeping up to date with the olympic Athletic heats, We were flicking back and forth to The Cricket.
We won that, after we had to come in and bat again, In order to score the ONE RUN we needed to win.
Then E came and It was time to trot down to The Valley.
I love that first home game of the season, you come into the stands and see The West Stand and Covered End (in my case) filled with Red shirts and singing Valley Floyd Road (mercifully we missed The Real Thing) and you smile and think. "God I've missed this."
Down to my Seat and Scary Matthew told me that he had graduated with a 2:2, which is ace.
The game itself was a little dull.
I can see Luke Young and Rommedahl linking up well, cos they're both pacy and Murphy seemed a little frustating to me, cos he didn't seem fully fit.
Uncle I spent a great deal of the game abusing Euell, who is NOT one of his favourite players.
I'm not going to go into full detail of the game cos its all on the Charlton website.
But I was very relived to score first as I felt that was going to be decisive and their equaliser was pretty good and I don't think Deano had much chance with it.
Their own goal (Unsworth) was a scuffed shot that slithered under Shaka Hislop's armpit.
So of course there was a lot of stick going HIS way for the rest of the match.
Came home to find we've won ANOTHER gold medal for cycling and the results of the equestrian appeal had been decided with the Gold going to Leslie Law and us getting Silver overall, so fairness prevailed.
I've just watched Kelly Sotherton pick up bronze in the Heptathon and it was a shame that Denise Lewis had to pull out and I think that's the end of her career now.
Paula Radcliffe in the Marathon tomorrow, so fingers crossed for that!
Bring on Wednesday night and Villa at home, which I think is going to be a hard one, I predict one nil to us.

No comments: