Friday, June 10, 2005

I suppose if you're out of London you've not heard about the Peregrine Falcons that have been nesting here.
The Falcons are one of the rarest birds of prey here and are listed on Schedule 1 of the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981, which gives special protection at all times. This means its an offence to take, injure or kill a peregrine or to take, damage or destroy its nest, eggs or young. It is also an offence to intentionally disturb the birds at or close to their nest during the breeding season, with a potential 6 month prison sentence.
So now that you've had a zoology lesson, you can be fascinated to learn that they've nested in a tower block in London.
And.... You can see the birds and their chicks here, and then clicking the webcam link (needs real player or something similar)
(I'm so impressed that I managed to remember that vague bit of information from my Wildlife Conservation lectures! I guess uni wasnt wasted after all!)

No comments: