Tuesday, September 27, 2005

You know you have those "where were you when...." moments?
My Mothership can tell me that when she heard that Elvis was dead, she was in the dentist getting a filling.
When Princess Diana died, I was on a riding holiday in Kent, and even then I knew that telly for the next week or so would be as boring as hell with all that on, I didn't predict everyone turning into pathetic jelly though.
One day in September I was sitting on the arm of the settee singing along to "Forever Autumn" One of my favourite songs incidently, waiting for my Dad and Brat to come home and idly flicking through the tv channels.
I glanced over at the telly and saw a plane fly into a tower and I laughed at the special effects on that film, and then realised that I was watching a BBC news special.
Another one of those days (although not as world-shattering!) was when the earthquake struck Dudley in the West Midlands.

I had only just moved into my Derby house a few weeks earlier, and had been talking to MH on my bed as was our habit, putting her disasterous love life to rights and nattering about nothing and everything.
I put my radio on to sleep, so I could listen to it for an hour or so before going to bed, and it had just finished when I heard a low growl. It reminded me of hearing the HGV's that drive up and down our street early morning sometimes.
But it grew too powerful for that and then our entire house shook briefly. I felt my bed go and grasped the edges, feeling like something in The Exorcist.
Then as quickly as it came it passed, and then I heard the growl again and it shook the house again, lasting longer this time.
And I saw the wardrobe across me move.
I don't remember being scared, more startled, I think this one was the aftershock, I've heard that they can be worse than the actual quake itself.
I sat bolt upright in bed, still clinging onto my bed, I wanted to turn the light on but was worried too while we were shaking so.
Actually the first thought in my head was "earthquake!" and then I dismissed it, earthquakes in England - Hahahha!
All this in a few seconds and as suddenly as it started it finished and I leapt out of bed, grabbing my glasses and running into the hallway, more adrenalised than scared.
MH came flying out of her room, no glasses, no dressing gown.
"What the hell was that?"
"I dont know!"
"It was a bomb! I'm sure of it"
"Don't be daft, I remember when they bombed the Docklands, it felt totally different."
"Well then its that petrol garage, at the end of the road, somethings gone wrong and it's blown up!"
(Always over-dramatic is MH)
I went back into my room and leaned out the window.
"I dont think so."
She followed me in. "I was so scared, I turned my light on I didn't know what it was."
"I didn't in case the electric went funny and exploded."
She sat on my bed.
"what was it? "
"Earthquake. Or aliens landing." I suggested picking the two most random suggestions out of my head.
We sat on my bed for a few moments marvelling that T who lived downstairs at the time had slept through it and wondering what it could be before going back to sleep.
I put my radio back on and listened to what ever was on at the time, I suspect it may have been some crap boyband.
Then the radio fizzled and jumped, and a mans voice came clearly out of the radio.
"I'm watching you."
And thats what scared me, I leapt out, ran to the window to check there was no one in the garden and then turned the radio off and dived under my duvet and didnt come out till morning.

What was that voice? I have no idea. I have a few suspicions though.
I'm also impressed that my memory is so clear from a night that happened a few years ago now.

7 comments:

HistoryGeek said...

Adrenaline will make your memories quite sharp (or take them away all together, go figure).

The moments I can always pinpoint...when my mother had her first heart attack...the shuttle Challenger exploding...World Trade Center attacks.

sunshine said...

You reminded me about the time I experienced an earthquake, not nearly as exciting/dramatic as the one you went through though.

Alex said...

I was woken by that earthquake when I lived in Stafford.

We used - I say USED - to have glass shelves over the bed, with lots of pretty glass ornaments on them.

Until that bloody night. The earthquake didn't really scare me, but the potential of those things falling on us in bed DID! They were moved very quickly I can tell you.

HistoryGeek said...

Alex - suddenly the phrase "hanging over your head" had real weight, eh?

sunshine said...

I'm number 4901

Hyde said...

4905!!!

HistoryGeek said...

4907