Saturday, December 17, 2005

Anyone else faced with having a sibling that everyone remembers but don't know you?
A lot of people make the mistake that my brother is an only child, especially the new people that have been met while I was at uni which is kinda fair enough I guess.
When I was in primary school, I existed for several years with only the teachers that had taught me knowing who I am.
When my brother made the move from his special needs school to mine it took him three short months to be known by everyone.
Teachers, cleaners, pupils and parents.
Those who were in his class and had day to day contact with him, to those in the infants school, who were separate from the juniors, everyone knew my brother.
I suppose a lot can be put down to his problems, so thats why the staff knew him.
But its not great when people turn and realise suddenly that I was there too.
Today in Sainsburys we met a girl that I had known very well in Primary, and her parents were friends with mine.
Their first comment was "Oh you're The Brat's Mum!"
Then a catch up with Dad and all his problems and all the while I packed Mum bags and then paid for her, while the talk turned back to The Brat and how he was.
They talked about the girl that I had been friends with and Mum made the comment that she was about the same age as me.
"Oh you had another child? Oh yes, she was younger than The Brat? She must have came into the school when we left?"
"No she's 22, older and standing here."
"Oh yes, so The Brat's working in Woolwich?"

Fucking hell! Am I really that forgettable? And am I really petty to still be frustrated and annoyed by people assuming that The Brat is the only child?

2 comments:

HistoryGeek said...

You're not petty. You are feeling unseen. That's never a good feeling.

I always felt that I was in the shadow of my sister, but in reality there were 4 years between us and so we had pretty separate lives.

We did have a funny moment when we were working at a car dealership together when I was in high school. Sister was the receptionist and I was the greeter. Sister made some reference to "my sister" to one of the salesmen who said something about "have I met her?" She replied that I was standing right next to him. He looked at me and looked at her, then declared we were having him on. We had to bring in a picture of the two of us with our parents to prove it to him!

sunshine said...

I have an older brother, 4 years between us too. I think everyone knows there are two of us, but people tend to ask about me more, because I was the the wilder one as a kid, and now that I'm older I have the more unstable and talked about lifestyle. Oh well, I guess.

No you are not petty. When you make it big, you can just forget about those people too. Just remember us! LOL