Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I went up to see Greenwich and Bexley hospice.
Dad has been investigating it, part of the "Where am I going to kick the bucket" discussion, WE want him at home, but obviously it may not be possible, so did we want him in a hospital or in the hospice, as he needed a blood transfusion so we went there.
I hated it.
It's set out really nice, all flowers and big grounds and a huge, fat, fluffy cat pottering round the grounds but it seemed to make it worse, to me it's a place where people go to die.
I know you can say the same thing at a hospital, but its different there. I didn't like it, surrounded by dying people.
No. Its a horrible, sad place no matter how they try to jazz it up, and don't get me wrong its a nice place, in nice grounds with nice friendly staff.
But its a place where people go to die.

5 comments:

LavaLady said...

Sorry Charby. I've no idea how you are feeling, I've never been through anything as difficult as what you're dealing with. Here's a hug, at least.

From what I've heard hospice is so much better than hospital...

xo
LL

Shane said...

Those are all fair comments. The whole thing about where a person should die and how the place should feel or look is peculiar and fascinating and sickening and more all at once. I guess what you're doing is just sticking with how Dad feels and responds to all of this stuff. Stay with the sane train and consider this to be a (((blog-hug))) from me. The way you write about these experiences is impresive.

HistoryGeek said...

Hospices, even though they are a place to die, can be so much better than a hospital at the end. They (hospice workers) are much calmer about death, I think and are focused on making sure their patients and family are as comfortable as possible. The hospital doesn't always have the ability to give patients and family that kind of space.

But, yes, it is still a place to die.

Babs said...

I know all about the hospice route. My Da was in one right before he went.

I hated it, myself. Despised the nuns who ran it, even though they were very nice, for the most part.

But it's such a very hard call to make.

And even though it's a place to die, you still harbor the tiniest glimmer of hope in the back of your head.

Ultimately, it's up to him.

And no matter which he chooses, it won't be easy.

I wish I could have been more helpful, kiddo.

Babs said...

Sorry, I meant to say THOUGH it won't be easy, you can still muster through it.