Saturday, July 09, 2005

"Yo! You better be ok and not gone up to London today" STF
"I rather hope you've not been in The City." The Sheep
"I've just got off my plane (in Israel), heard about the bombs, so worried for you." MH
"What's going on down there? I've just seen the news?" TP
"Please tell me you're not in the City." The Lizard
"I'm so frightened by it all, God only knows what it must be like for you lot." CL
"If you don't wanna come up to Derby at the end of the month thats fine, but I'll ebay your present if you don't." Cheers STF!!

Funny thing was I wasn't frightened, a little shocked yeah, but I've grown up with the threat of bombs from the IRA as have probably most other Londoners. My uncle M narrowly missed becoming mincemeat from both the Baltic Exchange bombs, (having just left work) and the London Bridge bomb (realised he'd left a paper at his office, went to get it, returned to find the station bombed) both in 1992.
There was all the nail bombs in 1999 by that crazy nutter dude. You become a little oblivious to the "Keep an eye on all unattended packages" signs that you see on London buses, that freaked MH out while she was visiting.
I don't like the City, Its too crowded, noisy and dirty for me, so I've always felt safe this side of the river, where its quieter, greener and more peaceful although we've had our own bombings in the Docklands and in Woolwich.
(I've tried to Google the story that my Mothership has always told me about them difusing a bomb in the Barracks when I was just a few days old and living on Hillreach. I can't find any info, is this just a tall tale or is it true? I do know they bombed a pub there in the 70's.)
I wasn't frightened, I felt and feel safe in my corner of London and set my attention on firstly checking in on Uncle M and then returning to the Cricket, as I get bugged by News24 and the others repeating the same little bit of news every 10 minutes but keeping the Internet running in order to keep updated.
I've told people along in Derby that an attack was inevitable, which has been thought by many other people too but you heard rumours about how a terror alert was foiled in Heathrow and other such stories and you hoped that meant we'd escape.
CCR has put all kinds of dire warnings on me using public transport again but I plan on going to Derby at the end of the month as planned. I'm not sure if i'll be able to use Kings Cross Tube Station as I normally do but we'll work around that.
God only knows how many more bodies are yet to be accounted for.
The latest accounts are of 50 killed and 700 injured with so many more unaccounted for. I extend my sympathies again to those injured and those breaved.
Most people I talk to are of the same mind, they've been through the Blitz, IRA bombing and God only knows what. People have left flowers for the dead and injured and left messages to the terrorists.
“You think you will defeat us? Let me take you by the hand and lead you through the streets of London, I’ll show you something to make you change your mind.”
"Yesterday we fled this great city but today we are walking back into an even stronger, greater city. The people who did this should know they have failed. They have picked the wrong city to pick on.” Underlined. "London will go on.”
E has a friend who is Muslim, living in Peterborough, she text her to check she was ok, and has said about being afraid to go outside in case she is tarred with the same brush.
I sent her a text, joking that I was going to grass her up. But how many other innocent people are now out there worried? I've heard on the news about a mosque in Liverpool being targeted by some nobhead.
I've just seen this on the news too. I'm hoping its a false alarm, God only knows there's going to be a few of them now.
I trust that they'll catch the cunts and bring them to justice, I'd say kill them but I think that'll just make them hero's to the other nutters out there.

I joined an agency yesterday! They were very confident about finding me some part time typing work, so fingers crossed for that one!

No comments: