Tuesday, April 11, 2006


My Nanny, as I've stated elsewhere in here is suffering from Alzheimers, its quite frankly exhausting dealing with her, as much as I care about her and see her as much as I can.
The other day my Aunty G was checking her bank book and discovered that 2k was missing from her account so asked Mum if she could sort it out as she's off work with Easter Holidays.
Anyway, the money was found in another account and Mum and the Bank Manager took Nanny in hand and organised her fianances, and discovered that she has about 40k in accessable cash!!
That's not to mention their house which is theirs, shares that she's collected from somewhere and the money in joint accounts with Granddad (and his own money!)
My Grandparents are loaded! Where did it all come from?! No one can work it out!


Anyway. While Mum was looking through boxes and stuff trying to find bank books she found some old photographs.
There's not many old ones around of my grandfolks, and great-grandparents, mainly cos of their rows - in which my Mum recalls Nanny ripping up albums of them, and ripping others up over an old family feud - involving some quite nasty court cases over child abuse, which might make another post when I lack inspiration one day.
That picture up there is her in her Land Army Days, way back in WW2 (possibly dates are a little hazy) as far as we can make out she was stationed in Cornwall and shortly after this picture was taken was in a nasty car accident where she went out the front window of the car, leaving her with a lifetime of being a nervous passenger on car rides.


This one touches me, I dunno if you guys can make it out but it says "all my love Jean" and was sent to my Granddad, on the back it says "here's the picture you asked for, but keep it to yourself, it's terrible!"
I only picture them as my grandparents, fighting like cat and dog (and believe me I've witnessed some terrible fights with name-calling and things being thrown at each other!)
Its hard to believe that they were young and in love and separated and by the looks of things, just as caught up in the neuroses about looks and things that we do now!
I'm not sure of the date of this picture, I know that my Granddad was in Burma (whether as part of ww2 or not I dont know) and also rejoined the army to go to Korea - where he claims he spent the war teaching them how to play football with a Scot called Jock and painted boats hulls, - he speaks very little of army life, there is a photo of him all dressed up in army gear and he tells of seeing a orangatang walk out of the jungle at him but thats all he really speaks of and we never ask him either.





As I mentioned after the Great Fight there's little wedding photos around, also few as rationing and stuff was on at the time.
There is another photo of them with their wedding feast, which consisted of one bottle of ale, a plate of sandwiches and a single plain sponge cake.
The only other Surviving wedding picture is them surrounded by other family members, most of which I don't know and have never met and of which Mum only has vague memories of.

2 comments:

shorty said...

These are fantastic and I'm glad you have something to hold onto.

Hyde said...

I love family history. Great pics of your grandma. It really captures something!

-h-