Sunday, January 01, 2006

The descent into madness here continues where it left off in the Last Year.
Dad working on the theory that being awake means you won't die has renounced sleep, unfortunately this means everyone else around him needs to be awake.
Poor Mum!
He stayed awake all night and then at half 7 decided that he didnt want to be in bed any more and somehow managed to ring his brother to come and get him (bearing in mind that the guy can scarcely lift a teaspoon)
He then demanded to be picked up now so he could go see Nan and wish her happy New Year.
So off he toddled with me and Mum wondering if he'd come back in the same bad mood he did on Xmas day.
When he came back, he was silent for a few minutes before bursting into tears.
When questioned on what was wrong he declaired dramatically.
"Its you! You're gonna hit and hurt me cos I keep getting you up!"
Naturally Mother was rather puzzled by this sudden outburst and gradually coaxed him up the stairs for a sleep on my bed, which he did for two hours or so.
When he woke The Brat tried to help him down the stairs, but his legs gave way and luckily The Brat caught him.
He also decided that I needed to sleep in the same room as them tonight "Cos she wont hurt me if you're about."
What could I do but agree?
Later on that day I was upstairs with The Brat and Mum was cooking tea when we heard a crash and then Mum Screaming for The Brat.
Some how he'd managed to get up and go into the backroom before collapsing.
Mum, being the person who is trying to get him to sleep reasonably and to not hassle unsuspecting people at random times of the night is now his most hated enemy, and I am his most favourite person in the entire world.
He kept trying to get me to either take him out in the wheelchair (which I wasn't doing on account of tipping him out) or upstairs so he could bitch about Mother in private.
Its amusing me and it was quite cute to see him tap the side of the settee next to me and give me a pleading look so Mum wouldn't sit next to him!
I managed to talk him into playing a simple game with me where his mind kept wandering off into flights of fantasy.
"where's Wammie?!" He demanded suddenly.
"Huh?"
"Wammie!" He said impatiently. "Wammie! (his brother's Staff terrier)"
"He aint here." I pointed out.
"I know that, but where is he?"
"At your brothers house?"
"Huh."
I've just been up there now to clear the super-smart hospital bed so I can sleep on it and he turned to me.
"I'm scared."
"Of what?"
"Her!"
"Well that's why I'm staying here, I gotta get up early for work tomorrow, so you better sleep."
Ooops!
He turned on Mum now.
"Thats why you want her here! So you can tell me to be quiet cos of [insert real name] just so you can sleep!"
I left her too it and ran away.
The poor fuckers really scared, not only of her, but of his suddenly untrustworthy legs and the inevitable which is looking very close at the moment and he must see that too.

2 comments:

HistoryGeek said...

I worked in a hospice for awhile. There was one guy who got me and another guy living in the hospice up in the middle of the night to go down to the basement and get him a credit card.

He later hallucinated bugs on the walls...and he'd tell us, then say "but I know you can't see them."

It can be so scary for everyone when the one you love just starts living in a different reality.

sunshine said...

You are still one of the strongest woman I've encountered.

I'm thinking of you.

Good to see the Brat helping a bit more too.