Friday, January 06, 2006

I'm sorry to report that Dad died today at 3.30 in the afternoon.
It was very sudden and very peaceful.

We were called in at 7.20am after being told that he had worsened, He spent a great portion of the morning in a half-waking-half-sleeping state, he knew that we were there as he grew a bit more animated occasionally when hearing our voices and when we put Mary Poppins - his favourite film on for him.
Later they popped a catheter and a pump-drip type thing on him to give him a little morphine, and he went to sleep and there he pretty much stayed until the end.
When the end came he was with my Mum, the Minster we want to take the service and the builder who built the loft, Mum noticed that his breathing was growing erratic, but he'd been skipping the odd breath since we took him in and called the doc who said that he was going, by the time the nurse and builder and minster had walked down the short corridor to get me he had gone.
I sat with Mum and stroked his hair for a little while and said my goodbyes and we waited for my brother to come (he's decided to go to work for 3pm)
He's at peace now, and like I said, he knew we were about and he wasn't alone and he wasn't in any pain or scared any more.
















Dad in November at OF's fireworks party.

9/1/59 - 6/1/06

RIP.

9 comments:

HistoryGeek said...

I'm so sorry to hear. I'm glad that he was with the ones that he loved and that his fear had left him. He was so young!

There's a song that I sing when my loved ones have died...these are the words:

Stand tall by the water
Feel no fear or loneliness
Let this love guide you over
Let this song give you rest

I've just sung it for your dad.

Hyde said...

Charby, I am so so sorry for you, but I'm glad that he is in peace now. PLEASE let me know if there's anything I can ever do for you. I'll be thinking of you all day and sending whatever good feelings I can over for you and your family.

lots and lots of hugs, always.

H

Babs said...

I'm so, so sorry, Charb. I'd like to say something more, something helpful, but I can't type through the tears.

He was far too young.

sunshine said...

So sad over here too. You were there for him all the time. Don't forget that. I'm sure he didn't.

Hugs, if you need to talk you know where I am.

Alex said...

I am really sad to hear the news.

There is nothing anyone can say to make the next few days, weeks and months easier for you.

As for him being to young - yes indeed. He was exactly a month older than my brother. Shocking.

Remember a lot of people are thinking of you and I am sure we are sending all our thoughts your way.

swisslet said...

I'm so, so sorry to hear about that. There's nothing that I can say that is going to make a blind bit of difference about anything, but I just wanted to say something to let you know I'm here and that you're in my thoughts.

ST

LavaLady said...

Much love to you and your family, Charby.

Flash said...

As I said in the text, my heart really does go out to you & your family, baby.

weenie said...

Sorry to hear this, Charby. My thoughts are with you.