Saturday, May 13, 2006

I've spent the day breaking up rocks to go alround the base of my new project! Tomorrow will be concrete day! Huzzah!

I was chatting to OF earlier and remembering some of our games we used to play as kids, some of them seem a little crazy now!
There was the usual things like cops and robbers, which became an obsession with us for most winters really - darkness = better "robbing" opportunities!
My house used to have a gate and therefore became a jail! which wasnt very secure! I remember one time OF crashing through the fence in an attempt to jump over it!

Every Spring we played "Blossom Town" with the flowers that fell from the big Cherry Tree in the middle of that cul-de-sac. (only the dead ones though that were on the ground, we were very concerned not to "hurt" the tree!
We used to pick one big fresh blossom each day to be the mayor of "Blossom Town" and would "bury" all the old wilting, brown ones in the earth in an area we marked out to be a "Blossom Graveyard"
And yet we seemed to be convinced that piling our bike baskets with the blossom would prevent them from dying if we rode round and round really fast, like the fresh air would revive them!

Another common game, but one that tended to get us in trouble was "The Drain game" We'd find big stones and drop them through the drain gates and attempt to get a splashback up with extra points if you could get the water to hit you!
Another rather unhygenic game we played now that I think of it was with the droppings from the horses at the stables, we'd throw them at each other in a kind of wild target game, I guess its not as bad as it sounds as the horses have hardly any chance to get worms, but still!

All those wild and crazy games, mainly focussing round that tree, like the day we dug up a root and believed it was a dinosaur bone and tried to get it out the ground or the day we broke part of a branch off and were convinced we'd get arrested for vandalism!
Good days, fondly remembered...

So what games do you remember inventing as a child to play?

2 comments:

Flash said...

Certainly none that involved throwing cack at each other!

Sad to say a lot of my childhood was spent getting up to no good on the railway. Being a little train vandal basically, ah happy days.

HistoryGeek said...

I loved my barbies. The girls in the neighborhood would gather with our barbies and play.

We played a lot of kickball in the street, but I hated it. I was never very coordinated and would invariably stub my toe.

We had a screen house in the backyard, and I used to play house back there a lot by myself. I was a bit of a strange child, playing alone.

My mother's least favorite...when we would use these old tennis rackets and hit tennis balls against the side of the house.