Sunday, December 03, 2006

I went out last night with Welshy and we hit Weatherspoons in Greenwich and proceeded to get hideously drunk on Cocktails.
And then he hit me with his bombshell.

Well its not really. See I've always been aware of the fact that he fancies me, and I've always done my best to let him know that I dont think of him in THAT way. And we muddle along happily in our own little way, I dont bring it up to save us both from embarrassment, and he's too shy a guy to actually make a move.
And then I was saying something, and then he said I was really unappreciated at home, from the things I've let slip to him, and I laughed it off and then he suddenly confessed, that he loves me and has done since the second time we met, and I was totally taken aback by this, cos this breaks all the unspoken rules of our friendship.
And he came out with all this stuff about how he just longed to be close enough to be trusted with some of my secrets, some of the stuff that I dont tell anyone, like the real reason behind my panic attacks.
And how it was the best moment of his life when he woke up and found me snoozing in his bed the night I had to stop over and how "holding your hand walking down the street would be bliss" and all the rest of this bollocks.
Seriously though I was fairly touched by it all, even if he is a crazy nutter, and was heavily influenced by our "Straw-pedeoing" and many, many cocktails so all the shit is just words, but still! Bless!
And then I had to let him down gently, how he's my friend and I can't think of him in any way other than as a best mate, and like I said, we've known about this and its just bubbled away under the surface but I think the drink forced it out of him and he needed to hear confirmation again.
I can't see it making our friendship any different, he knew that I knew he liked me and I knew that he knew that I dont feel things for him.
But I still feel bad and a little sad for him.

6 comments:

adem said...

I been in both situations of being the subject of requited love, and also feeling that was for someone else.

It's a hard situation and I find the best way is to get it out in the open whilst drunk... and then never talk about it again.

How very British.

Hyde said...

:( Poor welshey! But you are a good friend to him...

-h-

HistoryGeek said...

It sounds like you handled it really well. I was in the position of being unrequited in my feelings for a friend for many, many years. It's hard, but the truth is that I really valued his friendship and would never have wanted that part to end before it did.

Flash said...

Well done you for letting him down gently. I've been in his shoes & it's a very difficult place to be.

And yay for getting your New Zealand tickets, you leave on my birthday!

I didn't see much mention of your beloved Charlton propping up the Prem, perhaps I missed that bit!

Cody Bones said...

Wow, you are a good friend to let him down like that. It's tough, but I don't think that you could have done any better. Three cheers for Charby.

weenie said...

Been there too - apparently I'd been giving him all the 'signs' that I fancied him...whatever those signs were! Alas, he didn't get over it, so we lost touch.

Hope all goes well for the two of you and that he can move on (until the next time he gets hideously drunk with you again...)