Thursday, August 17, 2006

Today on my way into work I was sat next to all the kids collecting their Alevel results (For those of you who dont know, Alevels are the exams needed to get into uni)
Its kinda scary to think that these kids collecting them now, had only just started school when I got mine.

I remember my Alevel results day very clearly, down to what I was wearing at the time.

I knew that I'd failed my Biology Exam, as I've mentioned before School wasnt the happiest time for me. And with teachers openly mocking my misery and classmates doing their very best to make me feel like shit it was hard to concentrate on anything.
In a fit of madness I decided to retake all 6 biology modules in two days, along with the final exam. Of course by the end of it I was almost ready to collapse with the stress and the knowledge that it had done no good whatsoever.
The days that I took my two English Lit exams were almost as memorable, on the first attempt my brother managed to get himself mugged, so I was worried about him and didnt go as good in that exam as I know I could have.
The second exam I ate 4 packets of sugar-free polos, they have a little warning on them, about how the mass consumption can cause a laxative effect, I've tested it again since then and I wish I'd read those warnings before hand, although whether it'd have stopped me or not from doing it is another matter...
Its kinda hard to concentrate on John Donne at the best of times, let alone when you're convinced that any minute now your bowels will open, and never ever close again.

So on the day itself I wasnt too convinced on my ability to pass them, but being the stupidly hopeful optimist that I am, remained that something might have happened and I'd have got through.

Of course I failed them miserably and to this day am the proud owner of a U in biology and an E (worst grade possible) in English Lit, I think only my outstanding (hahahahahaha) coursework pulled me through that.
So I cried, and the head of the 6th form centre, tried to tell me it didnt matter, that I could retake them in a year or so, which made me worse, I was already so miserable and so close to doing something drastic at home that I still remain convinced that another year at home and I'd have made a serious attempt on my life.
She suggested that I rang Derby which was my chosen choice anyway and see what they said.

So crying and sobbing I rang John Cassella, who will always remain a hero after his organisation of my Graduation, who suggested I take the HND route into zoology.
Which I did, and it was the best thing I ever did!
So you see, even cocking up your alevels dont mean the end of the world!

3 comments:

weenie said...

Great story! I cocked up on my Maths (got an 'N', which was a 'Near pass'...so near yet so far!) but was able to scrape into my 2nd choice uni with my other two rather average grades. I have to say that I could have chosen a better and more interesting course than Business Studies, but the fun I had outside of studying and the friends I made (who I still still keep in touch with) more than made up for yawnsome lectures!

Red Squirrel said...

And frankly passing your A-levels and getting into your first choice isn't all it's cracked up to be either. It seems stupid to make 16 year olds (when you choose your A-levels) try and pick their career path.

You end up with more people doing what I did which was graduate and never use their degree subject again :)

Babs said...

Sounds like me during my chem regents.

Proud owner of a 52.

Which is not good, considering that 65 is BARELY passing LOL