Sunday, August 27, 2006

WE won yesterday! Yeeaaahh! And there is a stranger in our midst. The Brat gave up his season ticket last year and C who is our buffer between Scary M and Mr Swindon was gonna bring her kid to sit there, and in our typically disorganised way, left her to sort it as The Brats seat is inbetween mine and E's (only he never sat there.)
Anyhoo, we got to the ground and there was a stranger sat between us and C's kid, apparently has the seat to the right and a few along. Its a mystery!
And then JF turned up in Greenwich and I took her out to the Cutty Sark pub, and we had a nice night out.

But I promised you guys the story of the man who threatened me (Over a penny!) so sit back and make yourselves comfortable.

It was a busy lunch hour and I'd been left alone while the Big Boss Lady had headed out.
Now our shop has a minimum amount to be spent on the card and thats a fiver. This indian man had stuff that came to 4.99 so I pointed out that he couldnt use his card and he'd need to get something else or I'd look after it till he went to the bank, what ever was easist.
"No!" He shouted at me. "Why should I do that? You should be able to do that for me."
"Look, our systems pretty old and feeble. It wont handle it."
"Well change it!"
"I can't!"
"Change the details to be a fiver!"
"I cant do that!"
"Well this is ridiculous! Why are you so niave? Have you no idea how a shop works?!"
"Clearly I do, and I can't change it."
By now the queue behind me has grown and there's tutting and grumbling, I'm not sure at who but suspect its me, but there's nothing I can do and then he starts ranting and raving at me, demanding to speak to my manager who is out and who anyway would say the same thing and then he starts having a go at me, calling me stupid, niave and incompetent and using all these big words in the wrong context and by now I've lost my temper with him.
"Sir. It clearly isnt me who's niave, and if you're gonna use big words, at least use them correctly"
Ooops. Wrong move Charb!
He almost turns purple with rage and then starts shouting and raving about how he only lives a short way away and I should be frightened cos he's gonna go home and get a knife and then be waiting for me when the shop closes.
Seeing as I finish a half hour before the shop does I'm not too perturbed by his threat, anyway if you took all the ones you get in Woolwich seriously then no one would go to work at all.
Although I'll admit I was shaking and wobbly-legged about the whole thing for a while afterwards!

2 comments:

shorty said...

Geez...you need a different job. Hardly seems like risking your life over.

What ever became of the pony sitting job?

HistoryGeek said...

WTF! I've never been threatened, although others at my unit have been. And, of course, you would be wobbly legged!