Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A man pops into the shop.
"Do you sell phone cards?"
"Sorry?!"
"Phone cards, you know, to swipe and top my phone up with?"
"Err, no. Sorry."
"Oh. Ok. Do you know where I can find one?"
"The phone shop maybe? The one just down the road there? Or the one opposite us?"
I walk him to the front door of the shop and point at two of the many many phone shops in Woolwich.
Unfortunately, this coincides with another trip to our shop for The Lurker. Today he is resplendent in a sky blue jumper and mustard cap, which he has fastened to his head with the aid of an elastic band, a matching band is around his ear and he's sporting the latest style of trouserwear, as in dirty grey trackie bottoms, with one leg rolled to above the knee.
"Charby!" He greets me with delight and I cringe. "Hullo." He decides against popping into our shop for the forth time today and carries on.
I point at the shops again.
"Oh! Maybe! I never thought of that!" He beams delightedly at me and walks off and into New Look.

....
A man stinking most suspiciously of fags and weed wanders into our shop and stands in front of the till, swaying slightly.
The Radio crackles into life.
"[health shop that must not be named] this is Street CCTV recieving. Has this man (gives description of the man standing RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME) entered your store? If so be careful, he's a known thief and can be dangerous if confronted."
"Oh. Ok."
"So just keep an eye alright?"
Whoa, hang on, he's been listening to me talk about him to the CCTV control people, and now you're leaving me o deal with him.
I dont think so buster!
"I think you guys should get down here." I lie. "He's causing trouble."
Actually he's too stoned to do much in the way of movement and he staggers out the shop.

While waiting for my bus, it looks like its gonna kick off between some mouthy girls on one side of the road and two girls about 14, one is at least 8 months pregnant.
"Dont worry." She says confidently. "That whore comes over here and starts I got your back. I might be pregnant, but I can still fight that slag."
I wonder if perhaps the best thing for her is to lose the kid and then save it from a life like that.

Just another typical day in Woolwich! Hometown to all of S.E Londons nutters!

4 comments:

shorty said...

You just don't get excitement like that everyday around my home town.

I'm sure we have a lot of nutters to though, infact, I know we do.

HistoryGeek said...

If they are CCTV can't they see he's standing right by you listening?

Charby said...

There's street CCTV Spins, just none in my shop

adem said...

What a fun day!