Tuesday, November 01, 2005

"Bollocks." I thought to myself. "It's 2pm on the first day of this NanoWriMo and I still haven't got a fucking clue what I'm going to write about."
(My potty mouth extends to my mind too, although I daren't swear out loud.)
I'd had a few ideas, one I may return too, another a horror/thriller story, but I like to plan the main details of my stories before I sit and write them and this I realised last night borrowed heavily on "The Shining" so I dumped that idea.
So I was stuck.
I was clearing out the spare room, which had piles of junk from the attic in it, piles of old teddies, board games, my train set and Care Bears and books.
I have a huge collection of Enid Blyton, descended from my Mother and Aunty. I was never really into them, prefering the more exciting things like "The Hardy Boys" and "Three Investigators."
I particularly had the two school series, "Malory Towers" and "The Twins at St Claire's." I wasn't too into them, compared to books about murders and mysteries, tales of midnight feasts and lacrosse matches weren't exactly thrilling!
I flicked through them idily and remembered a few characters that had stuck out, Bill the tomboy, I'm not totally sure but I think she was the one really into her horses, and I can't remember the characters in those books, but I still remember the name of all her horses!!
And Carlotta, the gypsy/circus girl.
I remembered her cos she stood out from the middle-class girls with their boring lives, she was exotic, different, banned from living the lifestyle she wanted and forced to conform to the boring, greyness of the other schoolgirls and although by the third or forth book she was like the others, that idea stayed with me.
What if I was in that situation? Taken away from all I loved and forced to live with a family I didn't know and told to keep quiet about her background?

Two hours later, with the seeds of inspiration starting to grow in my head, I sat down in front of the computer and typed this:

"She sat in the dark shadows partially hidden by a tent, there were no nerves or any sign of emotion on her face, but the horse that she was sitting on showed her nerves.
There’s was a new act and one that had so far gone down a treat with audiences. The horse shifted its weight and jangled its bit, twitching its tail.
“Steady Sunny.” She smoothed, fixing a piece of mane that had been mussed up.
The horse was a beautiful palomino, part Arab, golden body, silver mane and tail and eye catching white markings on the legs and face.
She was dressed in a cowboy outfit of bright green and white, contrasting perfectly with the colour of the horse. She heard the applause as the act before her finished and the curtains parted suddenly and she was momentarily blinded by the light."

I'm not sure where I'm going to go with this, I have no little plans for my characters in my head, but I've managed to scrape 2,000 words out of it so far.
I don't know what kinda story it's going to turn out like or even if it'll make the word requirement but its gonna be fun finding out!

1 comment:

Hyde said...

Yay! Good luck!