Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Alex asked:

What is the best piece of advice that you have ever been given, and yet still ignored it...

I've been trying for a few days to think of what my reply to this would be.
I'm not very good with advice, some people go out looking for advice and act on it. I don't ask for it often, if ever and often when people have given me advice different to what I think, its made me all the more determined to go out and do the opposite of it anyway.
Or I don't tell people what I get up to or have planned until I've carried it out and then am left wondering why the hell it all went wrong.
The WORST piece of advice I've been given is from my Mothership and was "Don't go to uni, you won't like it and you won't cope. If you must go, apply locally and come home at nights"
Of course I ignored her and it was the best thing I've ever done.
I can think of several good pieces of advice like "Don't go with him" (meaning the BB) which I ignored and I'm glad I did.
I got told never to smoke so of course I had to have that one puff that then put me off for life!
I've been told to avoid drugs, and I have turned down the offer of weed but those don't really count do they?!
These are all good but surely not the best advice ever? There must be something more or have I just let a sheltered little life?

What about you guys? Whats the best advice you've ever been given and ignored or worst you've been given and ignored and do you regret it?

5 comments:

HistoryGeek said...

I don't think I've gotten a lot of critical advice in my life. Most of the advice I've gotten has come from my father and I either agree with him wholeheartedly, or ignore him completely...which means that those pieces of advice slip from my memory.

Flash said...

"Mate, are you sure you want to go through with this, I really don't think marrying her is a good idea"

Bloody hindsight!

Charby said...

Same problem I've had thinking up advice Spins!

Hyde said...

Hmm... My entire blog commentry seems to consist of good advice I consistently ignore. Do I regret it? Not sure yet. Still waiting for that "bloody hindsight!"

Alex said...

There are time when I wish I'd paid attention to what my Mum said about being in certain situations.

Bugger if only I HAD paid attention I'd have known what her advice would have been.