Friday, October 07, 2011

We've been to Calahorra again, walking along the Road Of Fear. (Would you walk 3km along the hard shoulder of an "a" road? No. Sensible people don't do such antics. So why am I doing this?
Because the bus to the city stops at 12.30 and starts again at 3.45.)
We walked this time to the big supermarket, which does some exciting things that you cannot buy in San Adrian. Like teabags. Actual Twinnings Earl Grey tea, which I am assured is better than the Eroski Basic teabag that Welshyis currently working through.
And. In my humble opinion. It is well worth paying 4 quid for a tiny pot of peanut butter. God how I've missed peanut butter. And how glad I am every day that I smuggled out my Marmite.
We also shopped in the "World cuisine" section and purchased some more pickled onions. Whooop!

There is a pet shop also in the Big Supermarket. I lusted after a Senegal parrot who came to the bars and nibbled my fingers and threw some shredded newspaper at me.
I had a conversation with a Mynah bird with twisted feet and wanted to rescue him and take him home.
And Welshy fell in love with a black and white cocker spaniel puppy. Bizarre from someone who hates dogs. I did not like my role reversal of pointing out why we couldn't get the puppy. The costs involved. The commitment. The fact that we do not know if we can have pets here or how we'd get it to England if we have to go home. Especially as we'd be going back to Mothers and she has put her foot down over puppies in the past. Plus buying puppies from a pet shop is wrong.
But my resolve is weak....
No. A bird is better, a bird is less commitment. A bird is easy to care for, a bird can move into my aviary once we go home.
Except said birdies here are rather expensive. I could pick up a cockatiel at home for about 15-20 quid. There? 80 Euro. Just a slight mark up.
Senegal parrot friend? nearly 800 quid. Didn't dare ask about the Mynah bird.
No. As much as I miss animal company, its best for all if we are strong and do not purchase.

No comments: