Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Today has been a Fiesta, a bank holiday. In Zaragoza it has been a week long thing but today is the birthday of the Virgin's pet goat or something so its a national holiday in Spain.
People were out partying late last night. The Accordian people, who I have learnt are old fashioned alarm clocks, standing on the street corner and singing and playing, were out at 6am.
And us? Well we had lessons as usual. Despite hardly any of the kids showing up and one of the Bosses taking it as holiday. We had one child for the first hour instead of 12 and then we combined the next two classes into one and played Karaoke with youtube.
I took the next class (The Harpies) And Welshy's class didnt come.
I planned to show The Harpies some fairytales, Jack and the Beanstalk etc, and then get them to write and draw me a story each. Not too taxing, fun as its fiesta day.
Right?
Wrong.
They watched the video. Then I explained what we were doing. They then proceeded to shout "NO" at me, and then Harpy No.1 told me she needed to go to the toilet. So I let her. She returned with one of The Bosses who proceeded to talk to them in Spanish for 20 minutes explaining what I wanted to do.
I was really annoyed, controlled it until after the lesson and then pointed out that I didnt think that the way he acted was very helpful to me. Now they know that they dont have to bother listening in English, they can run to him and complain that what I am saying is too hard, before I even have a chance to rephrase what I am saying.
Whether he takes that on board or not is another matter...

Anyway I had a class after that, Welshy's didnt show, these kids are very sweet and 5-6 so we played Disney Karaoke and then I had another class of 10 year olds of which 2 showed up and we did the same.

All in all a fairly easy day, although it seemed kinda pointless to be opened. It gave me hope that when we are forced to open on Saturday after we return from Vegas, that will be the same and no one will want to attend.

No comments: