Monday, September 19, 2011

Today I had my first attempts at teaching! I think they went ok!
MY first class was with a 16/17 year old and a test of his reading comprehension. To be honest I forgot to test the understanding. But he clearly followed the football review and he seemed to be into the Robin Hood story. Am sure he followed it though. 

Second Class and I prepared a getting to know you quiz that I would play with the other class afterwards.
These were I guess early secondary school aged. It was fun, although I realised that I hadnt bargained on the fact that the quiz wouldnt fill an hour. So we played again, which left us with 10 minutes to kill. Luckily they had been messing about a bit, so I made them get their books and sit in silence writing down the rules.
Then as they failed to complete the task I made them wait in silence for the last few minutes.
One girl had been good so I let her go at half past, but the other two who had been cheeky, I told them that they were going to have to wait for my other lesson to finish. This upset them.
"But we have football! We have dance!"
Tough.
I dragged it out for another minute and then let them go. 
I like the idea that I may get a reputation for strictness. The other calss went pretty similarly, but the game lasted 50 minutes. This was a primary aged class and they too are a bit loud. So I went through the same pattern with them at the end.

Hopefully it will make them think twice about behaviour. I'm sure it was just a test the new teacher out kinda thing as they're all pretty good kids really from what I've seen.

No comments: