Wednesday, June 28, 2006

I went to the Tower of London today!

Its one of the few "main" London attractions that I've never been too.

And I rode up on a boat and now I know how the word wharf originates and all about the sites and things, I know the pub where Captain Kidd was arrested and the house where Nelson lived and the Pub thats made out of parts of the Mayflower!
Yeah! It was like a history lesson only fun!

The tower was ace, we got shown round by one of the Yeomen Warders (Beefeaters) they all live in the Tower grounds! Imagine that? And at night they get locked in the castle and can only get in and out by using a secret code word and have their own doctor on the premises and play football on their "village green" which in olden days was where Anne Boleyn got the chop. How cool is that?
Apparently you can only be a beefeater if you've been in the army 22 years, reached a certain rank and something else though, so unless I marry one of them I dont think I'll be living there!
And I saw the famous ravens and the Crown Jewels, which would be ok, I guess if you like that sorta thing, I just thought it was a lot of glittery tackiness!

An Ace day though!

3 comments:

Hyde said...

It was like a history lesson, only fun? I'll try not to take offense to that! Glad you had fun.

:)

h

HistoryGeek said...

I laughed at that too, Hyde. Did you see the Traitors Gate and all the graffiti of the prisoners who were there? I was disappointed by the exhibit in the White Tower. They mainly focused on it's history as an armory, but it started out as a royal palace. Surely, that's more exciting than a bunch of guns.

Charby said...

I bet you'd be an interesting teacher Hyde!

My History teacher was boring and not really the best in the world!

Spins - Yeah I saw Traitors Gate and the graffitti was interesting, makes you wonder if in the future they'll think the same about OUR graffiti!