Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I fucking hate this heat!

Its bad enough in our shop that our air con is permanently switched to hot, although there is an occasional *poof* of air, which has the same strength of someone breathing on you.
We asked Head Office about getting it fixed and they responded by saying it might take 6-8 weeks to get someone out to look at it. Thanks guys, the summer will be over by then.

Incidentally someone complained to Head Office about us drinking on the shop floor, so as I do 5 hour shifts I don’t get a break and am permanently on the shop floor. Often on my own if the Big Boss Woman is doing the paperwork and on lunch and my supervisor spends a lot of time on the phone out the back, having a fag or trundling along the high street.
So I suffer and a Charbs can’t work in this heat and my patience for the Idiot customers is low and I end the day feeling sick and dreading my next shift.
I worked 7 hours on Thursday with no break for a drink or dinner and felt really rough!
So anyway, I’m fighting the power by having my sneaky bottle of water under the till and standing by the doorway whenever I get a chance hoping to find a bit of wind.

The machinery has other ideas, today they came into work and found that the freezers have been over working, and that they’d died and everything had defrosted.
There is only two tills in our shop and one of them has blown up – with purple smoke!!
So once we’d cleared the floors of gravy. We continued our day moaning about the heat and then it suddenly went from brilliant heat to thunderstorms, hailstones and torrential rain!
And we flooded! Ever seen those cartoons where a character opens the door and a huge wave of water rushes out soaking him?
Well it was like that!With the odd box or packet of papaya floating past!
Loads of stock ruined!
And the computer and ticker that records everything got wet too!
All the time dealing with the waterfall above our heads We mopped up the best we could and then rang Head Office. And remember this is the company that refuses to give us CCTV, claiming its not cost-effective – (fuck our safety or whatever!) Told us that they might send some one round on Friday, and until then we’re too do the best we can and carry on as normal*

So if you happen to be in Woolwich High Street tomorrow and pop your head in and see members of staff, lying dead and electrocuted on the floor and bottles of Evening Primrose Oil floating about you’ll know what happened.


* of course I’m hoping that we’re closed for Thursday so that I can watch the England game in peace!!!

4 comments:

Hyde said...

It must be REALLY hot over there! It's all you guys have been talking about! You have my sympathy...

:)

love,
h

Charby said...

the weather and footballs all we ever talk about Hyde!!!!

Hehehehe!

HistoryGeek said...

Purple smoke! That must have been fun.

adem said...

It's amazing how much we do talk about the weather. I've been chatting to people about hot hot it is, and now I've been chatting about how wet it is!

Have you ever seen 'Empire Records'?? Your shop reminds me a bit of it!