Thursday, February 23, 2006

A real oddball came into my shop today!
Not just a crazed customer but a real, ill in the head person
He's been popping in and out the last couple of weeks, I notice him, because he is an extremely tall black man, with the thickest beard ever and a long coat and funny hat, I think they call it a fedora?
Anyway, yesterday he was in our shop for a good 40 minutes walking up and down the pill-aisle and reading the odd label.
Woolwich, being that haven for shoplifters meant that his odd behaviour attracted me and I kept an eye on him, although what a 8 and a half stone 5'2" me is gonna do against a 6ft+ giant isnt really possible.
Today was atrocious weather, sleet and snow and rain all mixed intogether so hardly anyone was out and about so when he popped in it was noticeable, mainly by me trying hard to control my excitement - "whheeee a person! Whooo! someone to talk to! Someone to serve!"
Only the bastard didnt want any help so I retreated back to my Healthy magazine and occasionally scowled at him for not needing my assistance.
He popped in and out at least 4 times that morning, staying to read the odd bottle of pills and then wandering out.
I christened him "The Lurker" We started to acknowledge each other and smile, like old friends.
At 2pm he spoke to me.
"hello"
"Hi!"
I think my eagerness put him off cos he wandered off again but returned for his 6th visit of the day.
I was starting to get concerned. Was he ok? Was he shy about asking for something? Was he a homeless man looking for shelter from the weather? Or was he a little ill in the head?
At 3pm The Big Boss Lady spotted him trying on our Wild Yam Face Cream.
"I think its time you left now." She suggested.
He nodded and went out into the High Street with a face full of cream, leaving us with several open and spoiled pots.
Poor guy!

2 comments:

Babs said...

Maybe it's John Taylor with a VERY good disguise. If it IS him, though, his using Wild Yam Face Cream is MOST disconcerting.

HistoryGeek said...

Well, at least he now has soft skin!