Saturday, July 08, 2006

I have quails!
They're so cute and gobble like turkeys, they're pretty tame too and I've been petting them most of the day.
Getting them was a bit of an adventure, had to travel down to Ashford and we got to the village ok but was then told to look out for "A Big Sign for the Darling Buds of May" Well we travelled all over that village and repeatedly rang up asking for help and eventually after circuling the village several times we found it.
It wasn't that big a sign so boo to them!
The farm was great though! It had raindeer! And goats! And piglets! And Ducks! And geese! I love farms.
So I'm now the proud owner of Quentin and Quaver (I love alliteration in names!) quail.
I'll put a pic up on here shortly when they've settled in, they're quite young so look a bit scrawny and have no feathers on their back but that'll all grow back. I'm considering making them little wooly jackets to wear until the feathers grow.
They make the coolest noise too! They sound like robot turkeys!

However when we came back Satan Cockatiel was in a right state. One side of his face was covered in blood, a mask all over his face.
One of the budgies had blood on his beak so I'm not sure if he attacked him or whether he caught himself on something.
But the budgies have laid eggs so maybe he stuck his beak somewhere he shouldnt have and they were defending their eggs.
I had to catch the bird and try and clean him up with some damp cotton buds, so I'll keep him indoors for a week till he recovers and some of the blood scabs fall off or something.

1 comment:

shorty said...

Yay! Take care of the two new editions to your family.

Hope Satan gets better soon.