Thursday, August 02, 2012

I've just had the best three days at the Olympics. As always I've been gripped by all sorts of stuff that I'd not normally watch. On Sunday me, E and LLL went to see the eventing dressage, in the middle of the worst thunderstorm that made me feel quite exposed up on our seat in the gods surrounded by metal....
Dressage is normally pretty dull but the day simply flew by. My favourite was the Japanese guy who finished the day in first place - not expected at all. And of course I saw Zara, Will Fox Pitt and Mark Todd, all heroes amongst men.
Monday was cross country day and I'd only got the tickets on the Friday. Plan was to meet E and The Usurper for an eventing breakfast but three hours before the event was due to start it was already backed up, so I went in. I got an awesome spot by the drop fence and watched a few riders before finding those two and we toured the fences. Such a rollercoaster of emotion. Cheering on the Brits, then horses dropping like flies on the course, one rider breaking her pelvis and tearing her horses tendons to shit. Saw a Jap rider completely flip over in front of us which was horrid and we feared for its future after the screens went up.
Then everything was a sigh of relief when they went clear in front of us and we heard that they finished safely. Really brings home just how dangerous eventing is!
Then me and Mother went to the showjumping, the final element to the three day event. I was a bit pissed about this, as mother had previously just assumed she was going with me and never offered to give me the money for the ticket. But she seemed to really enjoy it and again, it was edge of your seat stuff - we were so, so close to gold but wasn't to be.
Feeling a bit anti-climatic now and even watching Gemma pick up silver in the judo hasn't revived me. (For what its worth, we went to the same judo club and her mum worked with mine until she died.)

Still off to see SunnyPony tomorrow. Am inspired to pick up the schooling work and start preparing for some shows hopefully. Although lack of transport lets us down. :(

No comments: