Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What a crazy 24 hours!

Welshy's nearly been sacked... Then reinstated.... Over nothing!

I guess the main thing is that it was some kinda culture clash. Its a small conservative town of 6,000 people. I remember Wendy telling me once that in Wanganui she found it hard to go out and have drinks as the people in the town judged her as a teacher.
Anyway, Welshy went for a pint last night to watch the Barca game and being poor, it was literally the one pint. Which got him judged as an alkie.
He then went to town the next day and returned to find that his long hair and lack of shaving had got the neighbours worried that he was a thief and the landlady wanted him gone.
So they were prepared to buy him a flight ticket home that night! Ridiculous!
I spoke to M on the phone, I called him weak for allowing himself to be overruled by someone who wasn't even a teacher at the school. Especially when we had had all those interviews and they seemed very happy with us.
He agreed to reconsider. Welshy shaved, got a haircut and has brought some real trousers.
Now i'm worried that they'll expect me to wear a skirt or something. I don't own anything but jeans! 
Welshy had dinner with them all and the landlady tonight and it seems to have gone well. He even tried TUNA PIE!!! I think the landlady regretted her impulsiveness.

So yeah... Crisis adverted. It was all just some culture clash and them being a bit spanish and dramatic (I hope!!)

No comments: