Friday, July 25, 2008

my granddad has come out of hospital which is good! hurrah! hopefully he'll get all better now.

I was talking with a few friends today about Poe and I remember reading a lot of him when I was four or 5 years old, I'd been given a collection of "mini-classics" with the pictures on one page and an edited version of the story on the other, it was this way that I discovered Dickens and trembled at Sidney in Tale of Two Cities long before I read the full length version, (actually I only read the full length version late last year)
Anyway, I still maintain that Poe wasnt the best choice to put into kids books, I still cant bring myself to read The Fall of the House of Usher again and I still skip the picture of the old man in The Telltale Heart now.
Anyway, a question for you all is: what was the most scary childrens book you ever read?

For me it was this, rather random story I remember reading during nursery, it was a foreign folk tale possibly from Poland or Finland and it was about a man who went to bed every night and a wildcat would creep into his house and each time he'd send his dogs out to chase it away and then one night the wildcat led the dogs far into the woods and got them lost and returned to the man's house.The very last page i remember reading has the cat peering over the side of the mans bed and the mans crying for the dogs but they never came.
Do any of you guys remember or know of this story?

I'm off to my cousin M's wedding tomorrow, thankfully he gave up on his earlier idea about making me a bridesmaid!

1 comment:

Cody Bones said...

Rikki Tikki Tavi by Kipling. I still love it though