Sunday, December 15, 2013

My Granddad has been pretty poorly. His dementia came on suddenly and strongly, unlike my Nan's who is still happily demented in the care home in Charlton.
He was taken to QM in Sidcup over the summer, where he didn't do too well. Growing angry and attacking the nurses, trying to escape repeatedly.
Just under a month ago they moved him to QE where he was closer to Mum and home. There. I'm sorry to say they mistreated him, leaving him naked in his own faeces. Not feeding him properly, or not taking the time to feed him. He caught pneumonia and diarrhea.
He was moved back to QM this week and I went to see him for the first time in quite a shameful while.
I was shocked tbh. I was expecting poorlyness but he has completely lost the plot. He didn't know who we were. Just sitting in a chair, mumbling and nursing a ragdoll that he'd found from somewhere.
Sad. Sad. Sad. A shadow of the strong vibrant man I knew, even six months ago.
He is being moved to pallative care tomorrow and that means days, or weeks.

No comments: